As a rule, the Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Centres) can grant business development aid for challenging development projects of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The aid can be granted for investments and other development activities. ‘Development activities’ means the development of a company’s business expertise, internationalisation, products, services, and production methods, the preparation of projects, and other comparable significant development of business activities.
The purpose of the granted aid is to encourage companies to engage in the long-term determined and goal-driven development and modernisation of business activities to seek growth and internationalisation, and share the risks arising for companies from development projects. Supporting companies’ growth and internationalisation improves regional employment and therefore vitality and attractiveness.
An application must be submitted before starting a project. The aid can be applied for through the electronic EURA 2021 application system. Funding calls are published not only in EURA, but also under ‘Application periods’ on the rakennerahastot.fi website.
- Link to the EURA 2021 application system (in Finnish): EURA 2021 (eura2021.fi)
Advisory services and further information
Before you submit an application for aid, we recommend that you contact national advisory services for SME funding (tel. +358 295 024 800, Mon–Fri at 9 am – 3 pm). If required, you can also contact business specialists in Eastern Finland.
- Business funding strategy 2022 in Eastern Finland (pdf, ely-keskus.fi) in Finnish
- Contact details of business specialists in Eastern Finland: Contact details (structuralfunds.fi)
Presentation material for business development aid presentations:
- Presentation in Northern Savo on 14 February 2022 (PDF) in Finnish
- Presentation in North Karelia on 18 February 2022 (PDF) in Finnish
- Presentation in Southern Savo on 21 February 2022 (PDF) in Finnish
Business funding for rural areas
Support for the development and investment needs of rural micro-enterprises can also be sought from the ELY Centres. The funding comes from the European agricultural fund for rural development. The funding terms are similar to the terms of support granted from the European Regional Development Fund or national assets.
- More information about business support for rural areas is available on the Finnish Food Authority’s website: Business support for rural areas (ruokavirasto.fi)
The innovation funding organisation Business Finland grants funding for companies’ research, development and innovation activities. Business Finland’s funding can be applied for by companies, research organisations and providers of public services.
- Business Finland’s online services: Business Finland (businessfinland.fi)